that this is an external course. In order to complete this course, you must purchase and read the second edition of Social Work Documentation: A Guide to Strengthening Your Case Recording
by Nancy L. Sidell, then complete an exam.
The second edition of Social Work Documentation: A Guide to Strengthening Your Case Recording is an update to Nancy L. Sidell's 2011 book on the importance of developing effective social work documentation skills. The new edition aims to help practitioners build writing skills in a variety of settings. New materials include updates on current practice issues such as electronic case recording and trauma-informed documentation. The book addresses the need for learning to keep effective documentation with new exercises and provides tips for assessing and documenting client cultural differences of relevance. Sidell encourages individuals to reflect on personal strengths and challenges related to documentation skills. Social Work Documentation is a how-to guide for social work students and practitioners interested in good record keeping and improving their documentation skills.
1. Identify the importance of self-assessment and skill development in improving writing competence.
2. Note the importance of documentation history and the current state of social work documentation.
3. Understand basic guidelines regarding best practices in social work documentation.
4. Develop a plan for improving personal documentation skills.
5. Implement at least three ways in which personal documentation skills can be improved.