MN - Essentials of Supervision (Part of Spring 2023 Supervisor Certification Series)
Start, grow, or strengthen your supervision practice! (15 CEUs)
WHO DO I CONTACT WITH MY QUESTIONS?
THIS IS A LIVE EVENT
- Questions about the event or access? Contact NASW-MN directly at email@example.com or 651-293-1935.
- Need to cancel or request a refund? Click here to read our Refund and Cancellation Policy.
- Can’t log in to your NASW Member account? Contact NASW Member Services at 800-742-4089 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Trouble with this website? Contact Social Work Online CE Institute Tech Support at the contact information at the bottom of this page.
Essentials of Supervision
Part of the Spring 2023 Social Work Supervisor Certification Series
3-part training takes place 10 a.m.-4 p.m. CST via Zoom on the following days:
- Tuesday, April 4, 2023
- Tuesday, April 11, 2023
- Tuesday, April 18, 2023
Includes 4 ethics OR 4 clinical (in area of social work values, principles, etc.); and 2 cultural responsiveness for MN licensees.
Please check with the regulatory board(s) in the state(s) where you are licensed to confirm your continuing education requirements.
Instruction by Dr. Karen E. Goodenough, PhD, MSW, LGSW, NASW-MN Executive Director
About NASW-MN's Supervisor Certification Series
Start, grow, or strengthen your supervision practice!
We are excited to bring you a series that will give you the skills and knowledge for being a supervisor in an ever-changing world. Whether you’re new to supervision or close to retirement, join us for an interactive, hands-on learning experience.
Built by social workers, for social workers!
We feature tons of fresh content and fresh perspectives, created and facilitated by skilled social workers with decades of supervision experience.
Get certified with NASW-MN!
The Supervisor Certification Series is made up of two trainings (15 CEUs each): “Essentials of Supervision” and “Advanced Supervision”. Complete the full series to get the 30 hours of supervision training needed to provide social work licensure supervision in Minnesota – AND become a NASW-MN Certified Supervisor!** You can register for one or both trainings. Register for each training separately.
Yes, this is for ALL social work supervisors! If you’re:
…you’re sure to learn new skills that will enhance your practice now and into the future!
- Supervising in an organization or providing outside licensure supervision
- Supervising interns, new or seasoned staff, front-line service providers, or leaders
- In a clinical or macro setting, or somewhere in between
- About to start supervising for the first time, moving into a leadership role, or want to add to your supervision toolkit
What we will cover in "Essentials of Supervision"
This training will help you understand your values and strengths as a supervisor and leader. It will cover the following:
What attendees have said about NASW-MN's Supervisor Certification Series
- Personal style and brand
- Management vs. coaching vs. leadership
- Theories, models, roles, and types of supervision
- Tracking tools, Minnesota statutes, and logistics of supervision
- Boundaries, self-care, and ethics
- Dual relationships, personal boundaries, and social media
- Rural vs. urban distinctions
- Unpacking ethical dilemmas
- Ethics of self-care for both supervisor and supervisee
- Supervising toward racial and social justice
- Feedback, accountability, and confrontation
- Tools and techniques for engaging supervisees
- “There was a nice variety of topics, great opportunities for discussion in small groups, and opportunities to have in-depth large group discussions that were meaningful.”
- “The training included new research and new ideas. The way we were broken into groups allowed us to discuss these ideas in order to sort through the information in usable ways. ”
- “I can't believe how fast the 6 weeks went. I'm not one to be engaged in Zoom trainings and I was engaged in the entire class.”
- “There was a wonderful balance on both content and process throughout the training series.”
- “I really loved this conference, very much enjoyed interacting with colleagues, and found all of the presenters to be incredibly knowledgeable. ”
About the Instructor
Dr. Karen E. Goodenough, PhD, MSW, LGSW, has been Executive Director of the National Association of Social Workers - Minnesota Chapter since 2018. She received her BSW from St. Olaf College, MSW from Augsburg University, and PhD in social work from the University of Minnesota. Previously, Dr. KG worked in direct practice, non-profit program management, and has been a consultant in evaluation, data utilization, and strategic planning. She has also served as adjunct faculty in numerous BSW and MSW programs throughout Minnesota. Dr. KG is a skilled supervisor, trainer, and macro practitioner. She has supervised, coached, and trained interns, volunteers, contractors, board members, and staff from various professional backgrounds, and has provided hundreds of hours of training in such areas as supervision, ethics, policy advocacy, leadership, budgeting, evaluation, and research. Dr. KG is passionate about using data and best practices to build a purposeful future, and is currently focusing her research efforts on social work licensure.
You will require access to Zoom and Google Drive for this training.
Please use a personal, non-work email address to ensure timely receipt of your access and materials.
Access and materials will be e-mailed to you a few days before the training begins.
Read our Cancellation and Refund Policy.
*NASW-MN is providing 15 CEUs for attending all 3 live days of this training. This training will be recorded. If you need to miss any of the training, you can view the recordings and complete the work you missed for independent learning CEUs. Visit the MN Board of Social Work's website for information on how to track independent learning CEUs for MN licensure. Please check with the regulatory board(s) in the state(s) where you are licensed to confirm your continuing education requirements.
**You may only miss 2 of 6 training dates to qualify for certification; if you miss 3 or more, you will not qualify for certification. All training dates will be recorded. If you need to miss any of the training and want to qualify for the certification, you must view the recordings and complete the work you missed, then submit a summary of your learning to the course instructor no later than 2 weeks after the last day of the course. Any work submitted after this time will not count towards the supervisor certification. Social workers need 30 hours of training in supervision content to begin providing licensure supervision in Minnesota; certification is not required. Visit the MN Board of Social Work's website for more details.
|MN Supervisor Certification Series 2022-2023||Early Registration||Standard|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
MN - Advanced Supervision (Part of Spring 2023 Supervisor Certification Series)
NASW CE Tracker
Personal Faith and Professional Ethics: Best Practice with the Families of LGBT Youth
MN - Ethics and Supervision
Professional Impairment, Burnout, and Ethics: What Social Workers Need to Know During the Pandemic
Trauma and Reunification Therapy During COVID-19: Collaboration with the Legal Process
Clinical Supervision in Mental Health Practice
MN - More than a Bubble Bath: Self-Care Ethics for Every Time of Year
Ethics Challenges for Managers, Executives and Board Members of Human Service Organizations: Ethics Discernment at the Organizational Level
Clinical Supervision in Mental Health Practice
Clinical Supervision in Social Work: Monitoring & Mentoring Social Work Practitioners - Presented by the NASW Arizona Chapter
Ethics in Social Work Supervision - Presented by the NASW Massachusetts Chapter